Tuesday, June 06, 2006

State of health

I have a couple of female friends who are not well at the moment. One has been so for a while, the other has a good prognosis for recovery. Medical science has come a long way, I know, but there are still some things that are beyond the scope of human intervention. And understanding.

The problem with my friends is that there is nothing physically wrong with them. No parts broken or worn out. Both intelligent women with loving husbands and children, work they enjoy, no financial hardship, a good network of support. Yet that does not prevent serious illness invading.

The trouble with mental problems is that variety is so large, treatment so varied, time frames so erratic that people do no know how to react. And often the worst is that the person involved cannot see the problem.

Break a bone, it hurts. Set and plaster and usually 6 weeks later it is better. My friend could not understand why her husband turned against her. He felt that her words were true though they were not. It was fortunate for him that the doctor made the decision for him.

I ask what I should do only because I do not know what will help or hinder. Do I act as if nothing is wrong, treat them differently, more assertively, more gently?

I know I have my problems. I can feel them when they happen, and at the moment can do something about it. Herbal remedies, busy mental work, lots of tears can often get me through. Though the long nights where I wonder how to resign or seek professional help do not help. I have loving care and a good network but I am scared that it is not enough.

My comfort is that if I finally go, I will not care. Like death, I have no fear of the end result. It is the going that holds the terror.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home