Thursday, September 09, 2004

Forty Two

The answer to the question regarding life, the universe and everything, or so it seems to those lucky enough to be able to hitchhike across the galaxy. Also the number of muscles it takes to frown. Unfortunately I know which one is more relevant to me, though frowning takes too much energy and never let it be said that I was one to use more energy than necessary. It could be said that it is my contribution to conservation. Heaven only knows that it is likely to be the only impact I am likely to make on the wider world.
Now that sounds a lot more depressing than it was supposed to be, must be the results of a hard day trying to beat through the terminal lethargy that my students just seem to exude. Mind, there was one highlight in an otherwise predicable day and that was when several students were trying to take a picnic table with attached seating from one area of the school to another. Not normally a cause for concern, except that this lot was trying to go via the library corridor. Quite pleasing in one way as it shows a surprising degree of imagination and tenacity. There were a couple of us who were enjoying the spectacle even while directing them to more appropriate places. There are times where I wonder what the world will do when this lot are let loose on it.
But back to 42. I must say that it is a good conversation topic, you are never short of an answer to a question, and such an answer is guaranteed to generate interest. Either bemused disbelief from those who have never heard of Douglas Adams or a discussion on how one might distract oneself so that you can miss the ground when you throw yourself at it. So with a salute to white mice and dolphins I shall go and make myself a gin and tonic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home